Fall In Love With More Free Templates! Click Here To Get Your Own Smitten Blog Design... »

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Not for the queasy

I sprang from the couch to the sound of Dylan's dinner hitting his bedroom floor! The smell hit me as soon as I reached the top of the stairs. I knew it would just make a bigger mess if I tried to move him to the bathroom, so I just had to wait for the vomitting to stop. I wanted to sit down next to him and rub his back but I felt my own dinner rising in my throat. Luckily, the stomach bug reared it's ugly head on my husband's night off. He hurried up behind me and tackled the sheets and carpet. I took Dylan in the bathroom to clean him off.

He had stopped vomiting but his pajamas were covered. I couldn't hold back the dry heaves as I strategically lifted them over his head. He looked at me with his sick, sad eyes and asked why I was gagging. I wish I was one of those mothers who was impervious to her child's bodily functions, but in fact I'm quite the opposite.

I carried a newly dressed and refreshly brushed (teeth that is) Dylan into our bed and laid down next to him. Away from the stentch I was able to soothe my sick child back to sleep!

I had already made the decision to keep him out of school, so we let him sleep in. I have such fond memories of sick days home from school when I was a kid. My mom would set me up on the couch in front of the TV for the entire day. She would wait on me hand and foot. Supplying me with unlimited amounts of Saltines and Gingerale through a straw. I indulged in The Price is Right and other afternoon television that I missed while at school. I would spend an enjoyable day dozing in and out of sleep, with the smell of chicken broth and pastina cooking on the stove.

So in an effort to redeem myself from last night, I made Dylan's sick day just as enjoyable. He had no limit to the amount of TV he was allowed to watch. I was at his beckon call. At the ready with board games when he needed a break from TV. Food, drink and books delivered to his perch on the couch.

So it's no wonder at 7:00 tonight, his stomach is suddenly bothering him again and he doesn't think he'll be able to make it to school tomorrow!!! I didn't want to erase all my efforts of the day by telling him sick days are in fact only a day unless accompanied by a doctors visit. But I have a feeling I'm not going to be at the top of his list in the morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment