Fall In Love With More Free Templates! Click Here To Get Your Own Smitten Blog Design... »

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

I'm the mom...

of a 5 year old!!!!

I can't wrap my head around it quite yet but Dylan is 5! I feel like 5 is such a huge milestone. The end of the toddler era. I don't know when it happened but I woke up this morning with a little man as my son!

The whole school thing and now turning 5 has really thrown me for a loop. I mean when did my chubby cheeked, only wanting mommy baby turn into such a big boy. I'm sure the transition has been gradual but all of a sudden it feels like he's a new kid overnight.

Every mother knows, they'll take care of their son up until the day he finds a wife to take her place! So this new found independence is amazing to me. This morning I sent him off to school with lunch packed in his bag, a birthday treat to share with the class in his hands and a huge smile on his face. He walks himself to his classroom, eats lunch with all his friends and I'm sure performs many other tasks all by himself.

He came home this afternoon with a birthday crown on his head and a grin from ear to ear. He told me his birthday at school was super great. They announced that he was turning 5 during the morning announcements, all his friends loved his birthday snack and he got to check out his own book at the library! He counted for me in Spanish and taught me some new songs!


I tried hard to make sure the tears welling up in my eyes never rolled down my cheek. It was a bittersweet moment, to see a glimpse of the amazing kid Dylan is turning into and to remember him as a little baby snuggled in my arms. It's crazy that after 4 years of hoping all the things you are teaching them are sinking in, they wake up one morning and prove to you that it did .

No comments:

Post a Comment