Fall In Love With More Free Templates! Click Here To Get Your Own Smitten Blog Design... »

Thursday, December 2, 2010

High/Low

With my husbands work schedule, the kids and I have dinner without him 6 nights a week. Dinner time for me has always been important and I don't want my kids to grow up thinking they can scarf their food without ever lifting their head up and conversing with one another. But it's hard to engage a 5 and 2 1/2 year old without another adult to strike up a conversation with. So I instituted the high/low game. We go around the table and everyone has to tell the best and worst part of their day.

Not only is it a great conversation starter but it gets Dylan talking about school without me asking: "what did you do at school today?" which doesn't have a very high success rate. Everyday Dylan says something different and I can usually string it along to pull more details out about his day.

Camryn doesn't fully comprehend the concept of high/low yet. Sometimes she copies what Dylan says. Other times she names things we did but neither were something you would consider a high or a low. But last night I think she got the hang of it. When I asked her what her high was, she replied:
"My fluffer nutter!!!"

1 comment:

  1. i'm so happy you're posting more often - i love reading these, you're such a good writer :)

    ReplyDelete