Fall In Love With More Free Templates! Click Here To Get Your Own Smitten Blog Design... »

Monday, January 11, 2010

To work or not to work

I knew I wanted to be a stay at home mom from the minute I found out that I was pregnant. My short lived career in the fast paced advertising industry was easy to give up. Being home and raising my children was the most important thing and the right choice for me.

It provided me the opportunity to be a part of every little moment. The sweet ones, the funny ones and the frustrating ones. All of which I wouldn't have missed for the world. Ok...maybe I could have done without some of the frustrating ones. But I'm honestly glad I didn't miss a minute because my time is almost up. Next year Dylan will be in school full-time and Camryn will start pre-school.

So I've been having an internal struggle about what to do with my free time. I can't go back to advertising because the demanding nature of the job will not allow me the flexibility I need. Being a mom is still my #1 job and my family is my top priority. But I'm scared of losing myself if I put everything I have into taking care of everyone else. I'm not the kind of person who could stay home and keep house while the kids are at school all day. I'm scared that I would start to resent that if I didn't have anything for myself. After all, I'm a young, smart women with the drive to be successful.

So I did it! I took a real estate course and am about to get my license! It's a job that I think will lend me the flexibility I need to not have to sacrifice my time with my family. I'm excited! I'm excited to jump back into the real world, with adult interaction and a feeling of accomplishment. As my kids get bigger, I'm excited for them to see me as more than just their mom and have a respect for all that I do. I specially want to show Camryn that it is possible to have a family and a career and not have to sacrifice either one.

I'm excited for the next chapter. And with the 3 best cheerleaders behind me, there's no way I can fail!

No comments:

Post a Comment