Fall In Love With More Free Templates! Click Here To Get Your Own Smitten Blog Design... »

Saturday, July 25, 2009

Airing your dirty laundry!

Kids really will repeat whatever they hear. I learned this lesson the hard way. Last hunting season my husband bought himself a new gun, an expensive gun. Without any warning he walked into the house with it and Dylan's eyes lit up. Of course, he thinks anything his dad does is cool so he had a million questions.

I used to be a vegetarian, love animals and hate guns. By these three facts, I'm sure you can assume my opinion of hunting. But it's a hobby of John's that apparently I need to live with. However, I really wanted to shield Dylan from guns and such for as long as possible, for obvious reasons. The last thing I need is his pre-school teacher calling me up telling me he's using sticks on the playground to shoot things in the woods or worse, his classmates.

The whole situation caught me off guard and I start to yell at John. Asking how much the gun was, why he would spend that kind of money without consulting me, did he have to walk in with it slung over his shoulder like Rambo in front of his son and so on. Dylan was in the room with us but I never thought anything I was saying was really of any interest to him. Did he prove me wrong!

That night we went to my parents' house for dinner. While he was helping my mom cook I heard him say:
"Nana, daddy bought a new gun and mommy's REALLY mad at him."
My mother didn't even look over her shoulder at me but I could see her snickering while she tried to focus on cooking us dinner.

1 comment:

  1. these stories are so fun! I got a kick out of this one-especially knowing your mom and how she can appreciate these things with you:)

    ReplyDelete